Training Course on Flood Disaster Risk Management In A Changing Climate; Nairobi and Mombasa, Kenya
Disaster and floods account for 40% of natural hazards that occur around the world. Each year, floods are connected to thousands of deaths and billions in losses, thus setting back numerous development projects. What is more, social economic disparity, global warming, rapid urbanization, and climate change are posing more vulnerabilities to floods. This calls for a proactive approach to combat this problem and establish a disaster risk strategy for safer and sustainable development.
This course is suitable for individuals working in the flood disaster risk management field. However, it is recommended that the following professionals attend: decision-makers, development and planning authorities, elected and appointed national and local administrators, officials in urban planning, public works, housing, water engineers and flood control professionals, and water resource and management.
· Address cross-cutting issues in flood risk management
· Apply climate-smart measures for flood risk mitigation
· Develop comprehensive policies for flood risk management in a fluctuating climate
· Develop preparedness and response plans for effective flood risk reduction
· Evaluate the extent of flood risk and vulnerability, and assess the capacity to respond
· Discuss the dynamics of flood risk in a changing climate
· Integrate flood recovery plans to flood risk management strategies
Module 1: Introduction to Flood Risk Management
· Flood disaster situation in Asia, Europe Africa, and America
· Basic terminologies in disaster risk management
· Hydro-meteorological hazards, their formation and predictability
· Natural catastrophes occurrence in third world countries and causes of floods and secondary hazards
Module 2: Climate Change and Impending Flood Risk
· Challenging circumstances of climate change
· flood vulnerability challenges and climate change and in implementing flood risk reduction interventions under
· Developing climate outlook/scenario and finding option for adaptation to climate change
· Concept of climate change and global warming
Module 3: Flood Risk Assessment
· Basic principles and aspects of flood assessment
· Community-based flood risk assessment
· Process of flood risk assessment
· Process of capacities assessment and flood vulnerability
Module 4: Flood Risk Mitigation
· The importance of flood plain management in flood risk mitigation
· Flood-proofing in a multi-hazard environment
· Climate smart structural interventions and its importance on flood risk mitigation
· Integrated watershed management in a changing climate: a non-structural intervention for flood risk mitigation
· Public awareness and capacity building
· Rural and urban development planning
· Tools for flood plan management
Module 5: Response Planning Process and Flood Disaster Preparedness
· Flood Contingency Planning Process
· Flood disaster preparedness framework
· Flood emergency management
· Flood evacuation process
· Flood forecasting and early warning systems
· Flood search and rescue
Module 6: Flood Recovery Planning & Implementation
· Concepts of flood recovery planning & implementation
· Flood damage and need assessment
· Guidelines for sustainable recovery programs
Module 7: Crosscutting Issues
· Economics of flood risk management
· Financial tools for flood risk reduction
· Relevant issues on trans-boundary, governance and gender
The instructor led trainings are delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web-based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professional and trainers in these fields.
i. The participant must be conversant with English.
ii. Upon completion of training the participant will be issued with an Authorized Training Certificate
iii. Course duration is flexible and the contents can be modified to fit any number of days.
iv. The course fee includes facilitation training materials, 2 coffee breaks, buffet lunch and a Certificate upon successful completion of Training.
v. One-year post-training support Consultation and Coaching provided after the course.
vi. Payment should be done at least a week before commence of the training, to DATASTAT CONSULTANCY LTD account, as indicated in the invoice so as to enable us prepare better for you.