Farmers’ organizations (FO) are effective channels of communication between the member-farmers. Without them, a situation of isolated voices would arise, that lack coordination and general power to affect the behavior of agricultural service providers. Formation of groups and farmer organizations is at times done without training them properly in theory and practice on the basic principles of community organizations. Majority of the farmers do not have many skills and experience in the process of establishing these organizations. However, many government agencies have developed national policies for rural development and designed policy framework to help rural people become organized so that delivery of services could be channeled through the various types of farmer organizations or groups. However, a number of issues surround the establishment and functioning of farmer organizations remains unaddressed.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This course is meant for various actors in the Agriculture Extension (Agricultural extension officers, senior agricultural officials and policy makers) working with communities, in governments, funding agencies, Research organizations and non-government organizations among others for Agriculture support activities and other Development programmes.
By the end of the course, learners will have:
- Have gained practical knowledge on the various types of typical Farmer organizations
- Understood the key steps in establishing farmer organizations
- Be able to establish the roles of extension services in farmer organizations
- Understood the key issues influencing participation in farmer organizations
- Understood the various strategies/empowerment methods that can be applied to farmer organizations
- Knowledge of the policy issues influencing establishment and strengthening of farmer organizations
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
- Establishment of farmer organizations
- Role of extension service providers
- Participation in farmer organizations
- Factors influencing farmer organizations
- Empowerment to farmer organizations
Proficiency in use of English language
Meet admission criteria
The trainings are delivered using a blended learning approach such as presentations, group work, guided sessions of practical exercise and web based tutorials