Training Course on Improving Health and Nutrition in Nairobi and Mombasa; Kenya
While most of us know that good nutrition is essential in helping us feel our best and reach our optimal health; finding time to eat a balanced diet on a daily basis seems a formidable task in this fast-paced affluent society. The good news is that by taking charge of your diet, you can improve your health while reducing your risk of lifestyle diseases such as heart disease or cancer.
Good nutrition is therefore one of the keys to good health. This five day training is aimed at developing healthier communities by filling in the gaps between nutrition and health.
Who Should Attend?
This course is intended for various actors in the Agriculture Extension (Agricultural extension officers, senior agricultural officials and policy makers) working with communities, in governments, funding agencies, Public Health Officers, Research organizations and non-government organizations among others for Agriculture support activities and other Development programmes.
By the end of the course, learners will be able to:
· Demonstrate a working knowledge of the basic principles of nutrition and how they relate to overall health and exercise performance.
· Understand the impact of lifestyle on health, and the ways one can modify lifestyle to affect disease or promote health.
· Establish nutrition disorders, prescribe therapeutic diets, and provide preliminary counselling on specific nutrient needs.
· Implement health maintenance and preventive nutrition care.
· Use medical nutrition remedies (such as nutrition assessment methods, behavioral counselling) for personal self-care where desirable.
· Create and evaluate a comprehensive educational and instructional nutrition tool or a care plan program using appropriate technologies.
Module I: Basics of nutrition
· Balance diet
· Healthy eating
· Nutritional requirements
· Dietary disorders
· Healthy lifestyles
Module II: Water, sanitation and hygiene in community food systems
· Health and hygiene responsibilities of food handlers
· Food hygiene and its environment
· Food preparation and safety
· Food processing and labelling
· Food and drugs administration
· Hygiene diseases
· Food hazards
Module III: Food safety practices and general requirements
· Food safety programs
· Interpretation and application
· Food handling controls
· Food defense and emergency response
· Food safety for vulnerable populations
· Nutritional counselling and education in rural areas
Module IV: Cross-Cutting issues in health and nutrition
· Climate-smart food systems for improved nutrition
· Health and agriculture development
· Multi-sectoral approach to nutritional health development
· Improving the role of public health institutions
Module V: Monitoring and Evaluation of nutrition health interventions
· Planning of nutrition health interventions
· Implementation of nutrition health interventions
· Evaluation of nutrition health interventions
Module VI: Technology application in health and nutrition promotion
· ICT and Mobile technology application in health and nutrition
· Integration of GIS and RS in health and nutrition
· Food biotechnology and emerging nutritional diseases
· Nutritional biostatistics, data analysis and decision making
The instructor led trainings are delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web-based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professional and trainers in these fields.
i. The participant must be conversant with English.
ii. Upon completion of training the participant will be issued with an Authorized Training Certificate
iii. Course duration is flexible and the contents can be modified to fit any number of days.
iv. The course fee includes facilitation training materials, 2 coffee breaks, buffet lunch and a Certificate upon successful completion of Training.
v. One-year post-training support Consultation and Coaching provided after the course.
vi. Payment should be done at least a week before commence of the training, to DATASTAT CONSULTANCY LTD account, as indicated in the invoice so as to enable us prepare better for you.